The Springfield Water and Sewer Commission (SWSC) is seeking a motivated and experienced candidate to work as a Safety and Training Coordinator. The Safety and Training Coordinator will be responsible for assisting in the review, development, implementation and monitoring of the Springfield Water and Sewer Commission’s Health and Safety Plan, as well as the Health and Safety Program to ensure health and safety for all SWSC staff across all locations.
About SWSC: SWSC was established in 1996 as an independently operated and managed regional water and wastewater utility that provides retail and wholesale water and sewer service to approximately 250,000 customers across multiple communities in the lower Pioneer Valley. The SWSC has approximately 250 employees that operate and maintain a system of one thousand miles of water and sewer pipe, treatment plants, reservoirs, watershed land, dams, and other critically import infrastructure that serves the public.
Mission Statement: SWSC’s mission is to provide an uninterrupted, high-quality supply of water to our customers, to collect and treat wastewater, and return clean water to the environment. www.waterandsewer.org
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assists with the day to day safety needs, developing, updating, testing, and implementing safety plans and manuals for the Commission and planning and coordinating annual safety training programs.
- Develops and maintains detailed records including locations and inspections of potentially hazardous areas or materials.
- Assists with workplace safety inspections to ensure worker safety at Commission work locations and to ensure compliance with state, federal, and Commission safety regulations.
- Assists workplace accident investigations and preparation of reports, findings, and recommendations.
- Supports the development and maintenance of risk reduction safety practices and procedures to ensure compliance with all related federal, state and local regulations, and best practices and safety standards in the industry.
- Develops, designs, coordinates, and provides safety training programs, including routine drills.
- Participates in audits, job site analysis, and other activities as necessary.
- Responds to emergency events and situations in the field as needed and advises SWSC management safety considerations associated with them.
- Aids in the identification and provide solutions for safety violations at work sites and facilities. Reports and discusses remedies of said violations with Safety Manager and appropriate Director.
- Performs other relevant tasks as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS: The abilities required include but are not limited to the following:
- Four (4) year Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a field related to occupational health and safety compliance;
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional computer skills to create and maintain safety data, documentation, policies and training programs.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local regulations applied within the industry as they relate to employee health, safety and site control.
- Knowledge of the principles, procedures, practices, methods and techniques of equipment, materials and tools employed in construction and operations and maintenance
- Knowledge of construction operations and procedures such as trench/excavation, traffic, etc.
- Knowledge in conducting incident investigations to identify true root cause conditions and ability to identify appropriate corrective actions.
- Minimum of one (1) year of relevant experience in the health & safety field required
- Must possess and maintain a current Driver’s License.
- OSHA 30 Hour – Construction certificate preferred. Must be willing to obtain within 2 years of hire.
- Safety certification preferred: BCSP, ASSP, OSHA, NSC
Qualified candidates should send their resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Stephanie.email@example.com.