Location Canaan, Ct
Critical features of this job are described under the headings that follow. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary (essential) duty satisfactorily.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Initiate, implement, and maintain environmental engineering programs affecting the plant.
- Conduct thorough investigation of environmental problem areas.
- Perform nuisance/dust/noise sampling surveys to insure compliance with company/government regulations.
- Recommend types of equipment to be used and equipment specifications eliminating environmental problems.
- Ensure that new process equipment for which he/she is responsible meets prescribed engineering specifications and is properly installed.
- Monitor plant compliance to regulatory permit requirements.
- Ensure operation of plant wastewater treatment process meets regulatory requirements.
- Provide environmental awareness training for plant personnel on an annual basis.
- Interface with regulatory agencies to conduct site audits and assist in negotiation of permit requirements.
- Work with local government officials to maintain a favorable corporate neighbor image.
- Field and respond to neighborhood concerns regarding dust, noise, etc.
- Plan and coordinate all safety training programs, recommend safety incentive and award programs. Conduct safety meetings.
- Keep abreast of proposed changes to existing laws and advise plant management of their possible effects on the plant.
- Workers’ compensation coordinator – work closely with insurer to provide timely compensation and timely and adequate medical care to injured employees. Represent SMI at related legal proceedings.
- Administer the disability management program for work-related injuries and illnesses. Serve as primary liaison with physicians. Coordinate limited duty and temporary assignments.
- Accompany third party representatives (e.g. MSHA, Workers’ Compensation, etc.) on plant inspections; ensure corrective action on violations.
- Coordinate and participate in monthly inspection program identifying potential safety hazards and ensure timely correction of all violations.
- Coordinate and participate in investigations for injuries, near miss incidents and property damage incidents.
- Develop safety-related policies and procedures.
- Serve as Chairman of Safety Committee.
- Administer contractor safety program including periodic inspections and correction of violations.
- Administer Hearing Conservation Program including noise surveys, annual audiometric testing, annual training.
- Coordinate/perform nuisance dust surveys to insure compliance with company/governmental regulations.
- Conduct safety analyses on specific jobs where required.
- Coordinate ordering, maintenance, and distribution of personal safety equipment to employees, ensuring related records are maintained.
- Fulfill the responsibilities and requirements as specified in the SPCC and Emergency Evacuation and Response Plan.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Work on special environmental problems as they occur.
- Assist other plants throughout the Division as needed.
- Conduct safety audits at other SMI facilities.
- Assist other SMI facilities with safety and health related issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
The requirements listed in the sections that follow are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions (primary duties) of the job.
College Degree or equivalent experience preferred. Successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills. Excellent oral and written skills are required. Computer skills are a plus. Must have excellent written and oral communication, and organizational skills, and pay excellent attention to detail. Additionally, the successful candidate must be able to direct/lead others, effectively handle conflict situations, display a cooperative attitude and concern for others, be able to maintain composure, have integrity, persistence and initiative, as well as be dependable and adaptable to changing circumstances. Must have familiarity with federal and state regulations pertaining to the site.
Sharon Burke, CSP
Specialty Minerals Inc.
260 Columbia Street
Adams, MA 01220