Location Boehringer Ingelheim– Ridgefield, CT
The EHS Senior Specialist supports BIPI Environmental Health and Safety programs in order to maintain compliance with applicable State and Federal regulations, Corporate requirements, and other legal requirements, and in order to help protect the health and safety of BIPI employees, to protect the environment, and to minimize risks to the company. The EHS Senior Specialist provides assistance to the EHS Managers, and will also solely manage a limited number of EHS programs. The position also plays a key role in assisting internal customers with their EHS needs.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist the EHS Managers with program compliance activities to ensure adherence to regulatory requirements. Programs may include Field Force safety, chemical, biological and radiation safety, industrial hygiene, environmental programs, include general safety programs such as Lock out Tag out, Hot Work, powered industrial trucks, confined space, fall protection, machine guarding, robotic system safety, and others. Helps to maintain written programs in a compliant state, conducts training, provides assistance to and conducts routine follow-up audits of programs periodically. Maintain all training programs and revise as necessary.
- Manage one or more BIPI EHS&S programs in compliance with applicable Local, State and Federal regulations, Corporate requirements, and in order to help protect the health and safety of BIPI employees, to protect the environment, and to minimize risks to the company.
- Interfaces include internal customers in R & D, Site Services, and Marketing and Field Sales departments, and may include other internal customers as needed. External interfaces include BI colleagues at other US and international locations, and State and Federal regulatory agencies.
- B.S. in Science or related field from an accredited institution, MS/MBA preferred.
- Requires at least five (5) years’ experience in EHS or related field, including at least three (3) years’ experience with the relevant technical subject matter as detailed in this job profile.
- Certifications strongly preferred or ability to obtained certification within six months of assignment: Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Professional Ergonomist, and/or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager.
- Serves as a technical expert on internal and external Committees including groups that may affect local, state, federal and corporate regulatory requirements.
- An in-depth knowledge of regulatory and legal requirements for all managed programs is required. Strong understanding of all EHS requirements as appropriate to BIPI facility. Detailed knowledge of all BI Corporate requirements.
- Occasionally will be required to work in a physically demanding environment, including conducting field work and participating in emergency response activities. Must have the ability to lift 35 lbs.
- Position may require periodic off-shift work in order to meet the needs of internal customers. Occasional travel is required.
- Requires strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence without authority, and interact with employees, management and leadership to achieve desired results.
- The position requires the ability to work independently while maintaining communication with all team members. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are required. The incumbent must be perceived as unbiased, must possess strong people skills, and must offer innovative and creative solutions to customer problems.
- Strong data analytics and excellent/ advanced skills in using Excel/spreadsheets/pivot tables preferred.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older