Part Time: Up to 30 hours per week
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: This is a highly responsible position which has strategic and tactical responsibility for administering the Depa1tment of Public Work’s (DPW) environmental, health and safety programs, policies and initiatives. Ensures compliance with applicable health and safety laws, statutes and regulations. Conducts and/or coordinates relevant training, provides guidance and follow up to all DPW subdivisions. This position also provides limited support for other Town departments including but not limited to assistance with accident/incident investigations, inspections and training as approved by the Public Works Director or his/her designee.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general direction of the Director of Public Works or his/her designee.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop, implement, and maintain programs, systems, policies, and studies to assure Department compliance with EH&S laws and regulations;
- Ensure hazard/risk assessments are current and controls in place for all department activities;
- Conduct EH&S audits and inspections of Department programs and facilities;
- Provide technical advice and assistance on EH&S regulatory compliance issues;
- Serve as liaison with EH&S regulatory agencies;
- Develop, coordinate and deliver EH&S training programs for Department personnel. This may include other Town departments outside DPW;
- Ensure accidents/incidents are promptly reported and thoroughly investigated. Assist DPW divisions with identification of appropriate root causes, corrective and preventative actions and follow-up on such actions. This may include other Town departments outside DPW.
- Schedule EH&S meetings to review performance and policies. This may be accomplished through a DPW EH&S Committee;
- Assist with spill response program reporting and recordkeeping requirements;
- Monitor and participate in government regulatory and legislative processes and prepare testimony on the Department’s behalf;
- Overall responsibility for improving the department’s safety record and assist in investigation and reporting of all project incidents including near misses.
- Address specific reporting and record keeping requirements of OSHA, CT DEEP, EPA, etc.
- Ensnre all DPW project sites and field activities comply with EH&S regulatory requirements.
- Actively participate on Town Safety Committee(s).
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS: Performs related duties as required or assigned by the Director of Public Works or his/her designee.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY: Provide effective leadership, coordinate, and monitor employees’ EH&S program conformance; Analyze and define problems, identify alternative solutions, and implement recommendations in support of goals; Train and evaluate staff; Facilitate group discussions and problem solving; Interpret and apply federal, state and local policies, laws and regulations; Make effective presentations; Working knowledge and solid understanding of the latest industry computer programs and digital technologies; Ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form; Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; Work in harmony with others.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Bachelor’s degree in safety, engineering, environmental or related technical field and three to five years’ experience in safety experience and environmental compliance management and auditing and /or industrial facilities or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Highly Desirable: Working knowledge of federal and state environmental laws governing wastewater and storm water discharges, chemical and fuel storage, hazardous waste, air emissions, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, RCRA, SPCC regulations, Underground Storage Tank rules, NPDES, MS4, and EPCRA. Candidate should possess excellent computer, written and verbal communication skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk and hear; sit; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Perf01ms highly complex and varied tasks requiring independent knowledge, its application to a variety of situations, as well as exercise of independent judgment.
Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Occasionally makes field visits to project sites as required.
The following duties are typical of this job description am/ intended only to describe the various types of work that may be performed, the level of technical complexity of the assignments(s), and are not intended to be an all inclusive list of duties. The omission of a specific duty statement does not exclude it from the position if the work is consistent wit!, the concept of the job description, or is similarly or closely related to another duty statement to address business needs and changing business practices.