Location Boston, MA
The System Safety Specialist will be responsible for the performance of system-wide hazard analyzes, project oversight, incident investigations, and regulation-mandated technical reporting.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare specialized accident/incident reports and corrective action plans as required by the MBTA Safety Plan and in accordance with the State Safety Oversight program as required by regulation, rules and procedures.
- Prepare comprehensive data reports that will be distributed to the Board, GM, and all departments.
- Respond to and participate in derailment investigations, wire investigations and vehicle collisions/accidents.
- Work collaboratively with MBTA managers, supervisors, and appropriate parties to identify and mitigate hazards in a timely manner.
- Represent MBTA Safety on task forces and committees established to address safety, passenger needs, and other topics relevant to Authority goals.
- Serve as a member of the Authority’s Technical Derailment Committee.
- Participate in the evaluation, review, and content update of the MBTA Safety Plan, mandated by 49 CFR 673 and 20 CMR 151.
- Participate in the implementation of Safety Management Systems (SMS) per the MBTA SMS Implementation Plan.
- Review, interpret, provide comment on, and disseminate to relevant parties as safety-related transit rules and announcements are published in the Federal Register.
- Work closely with field representatives from the Department of Public Utilities (DPU) to resolve identified safety issues.
- Participate in and provide training, coaching, and education of MBTA employees, MBTA Safety staff, industry, contractors, and patrons, as appropriate.
- Participate in the review and implementation of Occupational Health and Safety programs and plans.
- Drive a company or personal vehicle to visit/inspect work sites and to assist at emergencies and/or events, as needed.
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner consistent with the Authority’s customer service quality standard. Perform night and weekend Safety Duty Response in rotation with other Safety staff.
- Respond either directly or through others, to emergencies twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week.
- Adhere to the rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the Authority including the EEO, Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment and Anti-Retaliation policies.
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Four (4) years of relevant experience in transportation and/or data analytics, training, or technical report writing.
- Documented relevant safety training courses such as those provided by the Transportation Safety Institute, National Transit Institute, OSHA, or equivalent.
- Valid Drivers License.
- Effective organizational, analytical, multi-tasking, time management and interpersonal skills. Ability to demonstrate strong analytical, communication and report writing skills (Finalists selected to interview will be required to submit a writing sample at the time of interview).
- The ability to effectively communicate with regulatory agencies, community organizations and others on technical and sensitive matters.
- The ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Database applications.
- The ability to pass: background screenings and the MBTA’s medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening.
- Ability to provide internal and external customers with a courteous and professional experience. A satisfactory work record for the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting, including overall employment, job performance, discipline and safety records (infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration for selection).
- The ability to work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed. Availability to work twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week. The ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent from an accredited institution with the ability to comprehend, communicate and respond to instructions, orders, signs, notices, inquiries, etc. in English and seven (7) years of relevant experience may be substituted for the required degree.
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Urban Planning, Safety, Business Administration, or related field from an accredited institution.
- Completed the Transportation Safety Institute (TSI) Transit Safety and Security Program (TSSP) in Bus and/or Rail.
- Experience working in transportation safety.
- Knowledge of system safety and/or Safety Management Systems (SMS) principles and best practices.
- Knowledge of American Public Transportation Association (APTA) standards.
- Experience working in transportation, safety, security or related field. Candidates demonstrating an understanding of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and/or DPU regulations and/or experience conducting training.