The Odyssey Transportation Safety & Responsible Care Manager will work closely with the Sr. Director, SHE&S in developing, implementing and administering Odyssey’s SHE&S program across all business units and will have responsibility for Odyssey’s Responsible Care (RC) program. This position will be interacting with all of Odyssey’s businesses to provide support for their SHE&S activities. The Transportation Safety & Responsible Care Manager will be responsible for all of Odyssey’s consolidated SHE&S databases and will issue regular reports to management as well as approving and maintaining Odyssey’ list of approved carriers. This role will function as a resource to the company for State and Federal regulations impacting Odyssey.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
(Management may amend and/or assign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time).
- Manage Odyssey’s Responsible Care program and act as liaison between Odyssey & American Chemistry Council’s Responsible Care Partner Program.
- Act as SME for Odyssey’s Responsible Care activities.
- Schedule & coordinate Odyssey’s Responsible Care internal & certification audits within the RC certified business units including follow up work to close out any action items.
- Coordinate Odyssey Responsible Care risk reviews of the RC certified business units.
- Provide Responsible Care input to Odyssey’s corporate managers and certified RC business unit senior leaders.
- Develop and conduct SHE&S related training and maintain accurate records. Act as a back-up to the Sr Director, SHE&S as a resource for SHE&S and Responsible Care information and knowledge for Odyssey.
- Manage and maintain Responsible Care document library reviews and updates.
- Conduct SHE&S related activities at various Odyssey locations throughout the US
- Conduct internal SHE&S and RC internal audits as necessary at various Odyssey locations throughout the US.
- Develop and maintain Odyssey accident/incident master data base for all U.S. sites.
- Conduct incident investigations, root-cause analysis, follow-up, and closure of action items. Initiate monthly SHE&S report for Odyssey senior managers from data base.
- Assist with SHE&S program development including written programs, procedures and training based on incident data and trends.
- Develop training strategies, processes and create training materials for annual training, new employee training, and hazmat certification program.
- Review and monitor emerging and pending State & Federal regulations to ensure Odyssey remains in compliance.
- Develop communications to business managers with respect to changes in regulations affecting Odyssey.
- Perform regulatory research to answer/address client concerns relevant to Federal and State DOT regulations and compliance.
- Provide regulatory information for client QRR reviews.
- Work with SHE&S Coordinator to manage and maintain Odyssey’s approved carrier lists, including, performing new & existing carrier reviews, issuing monthly reports of approved carrier status, and managing deficient carrier corrective action process.
- Make determinations in conjunction with the Director of Safety for carrier removal from the Odyssey Approved Carrier List.
- Coordinate with NA Operations personnel as required to assure all carriers are receiving the appropriate level of safety/qualification reviews.
- Assist and contribute to the publication of the Odyssey Safety Newsletter as required.
- Serve as the primary owner and maintenance of the Transportation Safety SharePoint site warehousing carrier records electronically.
- Vet potential customers/clients for SHE&S related activity.
- Create and publish reports and slides as needed by the Sr Director of SHE&S.
- Interact with external regulatory agencies as necessary.
Qualifications & Key Skills
(The following are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills or ability required for this position).
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferred in the field of transportation, logistics, safety management, business/communications, or a related field. Bachelor’s degree in other disciplines plus 5-10 years’ experience in one of these fields would be equivalent.
- Minimum 5-10 years’ experience in one of the fields listed above, with minimum two years of in a logistics safety related position.
- Requires a full knowledge and understanding of the ACC Responsible Care program and Odyssey RCMS & SHE&S work processes.
- Knowledge of applicable State and Federal Regulations, FMCSA, PHMSA, and EPA standards/practices/regulations as related to Odyssey’s portfolio of businesses.
- Experience working with regulatory agencies such as OSHA, EPA, DOT, etc.
- Experience with the Odyssey TMS and SharePoint a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with clients, carriers, and all levels of management within the Odyssey organization.
- Ability to lead meetings and present material to all levels of the organization.
- Above average customer service skills and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Highly accurate in data entry skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and/or without direct supervision and in an autonomous environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects simultaneously and in a timely manner.
- Good analytical, reporting, researching, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in dealing with sensitive information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites, e-mail, and internet
Kellyn Will, aPHR
Odyssey Logistics & Technology Corporation
39 Old Ridgebury Road, Danbury, CT 06810